Web copywriting tips
What goes into writing copy for a website? Surely it’s quite simple? Actually, there’s more to it than you might think.
That’s why I decided to have a chat with Jade Anderson from Jade A Copywriting, who writes website copy for a living. In this interview, Jade spills the beans and shares her best web copywriting tips. Watch the video, or read the show notes just below.
- Minal introduces the topic: The importance of resonating content on websites and guest, Jade Anderson, a web copywriting expert.
Background and Journey
- Jade shares her journey from digital marketing, toggling between analytics and web content, to discovering her passion for copywriting.
- The transition to full-time copywriting in December 2021 after the pandemic and her relocation to Manchester.
Challenges of Starting a Business
- Minal reflects on the unique challenges of beginning a business in uncertain times like 2020.
- Jade acknowledges these hurdles, while also expressing gratitude for her business’s thriving.
- Minal cites Jade’s work for her email marketing planner page as an example of Jade’s expertise.
Writing for Websites
- Importance of understanding one’s target audience.
- Techniques like speaking in the second person, addressing customer pain points, and showcasing solutions.
Common Mistakes in Web Writing
- Perspective: Avoid the business-centric view and prioritize the visitor’s perspective.
- Solo entrepreneurs should opt for “I” instead of “we”.
- Emphasis on focusing on solutions for visitors.
Best Language for Web Writing
- Simple, accessible language is key.
- Jade shares insights from an NHS project about the average reading age for UK adults.
- Importance of using audience-specific language for relatability.
Nuances of Writing for the Web
- Personal Authenticity in Content
- Genuine, authentic content connects better.
- Being truly oneself in email communications.
- Addressing Jargon in Content
- Be cautious with industry-specific jargon and acronyms.
- Spell out acronyms, offer definitions, and get external feedback.
- Challenges in Marketing Language
- Need to simplify complex marketing terminology.
- Resonate with the target audience.
- Balancing Information
- Be concise, strategic, and focus on formatting.
- Highlight unique selling points.
- Sustainability Communication
- Emphasis on sustainability if it’s integral to the business.
- Engaging Website Visitors
- Importance of “above the fold” and making business offerings clear from the start.
Enhancing Website for a Personal Touch
- Essentials for creating a personal, human-sounding website.
- Discusses the pitfalls of jargon, content organization, SEO strategies, and the significance of tone in branding.
Importance of Copywriting
- Minal’s experience working with Jade.
- Discussion on copywriting affordability and DIY tips.
Content Creation Tips
- Start with mapping, bullet points, and an info dump.
- Embrace the “less is more” philosophy.
- Power of social proof and the impact of positive feedback.
- Essential pages and the benefits of an FAQ section.
- Potential for repurposing FAQ content.
Role of Images
- Enhancing user experience with images.
- Emphasizing the personal touch with the owner’s images.
Website Content Best Practices
- Emphasis on bullet points, testing content structures, and observing impacts.